NIGER: 14 SOLDIERS KILLED BY BOKO HARAM
The Republic of Niger’s army fighting Boko Haram has confirmed that 14 of its soldiers were killed by Boko Haram in the Differ region near the Nigerian border.
Defence ministry spokesman Colonel Moustapha Ledru said in the battle with the Islamic Jihadists, 29 other soldiers were wounded. Ledru also said within the same period, “123 terrorists” had been killed and “a large quantity of arms recovered from the insurgents.” The insurgents were Boko Haram terrorists who had “infiltrated” into Diffa and two of them have been captured, he added.
Meanwhile, the ‘Bring Back Our Girls’ campaign group has accused the Nigerian government of doing nothing to rescue the girls in 2016. A statement by Aisha Yesufu and Obi Ezekwesili, former Nigeria Education minister, said details released by the government on September 16, proved that the government had since moved on while the girls remain in captivity. “First, we noted that the detailed account presented by the Minister of Information revealed activities related to rescue effort only up to December 2015. It is thus curious that there was no activity reported for the entire nearly nine months of 2016,” the group said.
President Buhari, in his Independence Day National broadcast, October 1 did not make any mention of the Chibok girls. The president said, “Nigerians should thank our gallant men of the Armed Forces and Police for rescuing large areas of the country captured by insurgents. Now, residents in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States, as well as several neighbouring states go about their daily business in relative safety. People can go to mosques, churches, market places in reasonable safety.” He focused more on the Niger Delta militants destroying oil pipelines.